Old 21-05-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Some hay questions

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

I felt a little paranoid raising the issue of combustion. I raised that
issue in terms of storing it in the garage, don't want that going up.

I've seen a whole barn lost to a hay-combustion fire, though
combustion is more usual in mid to late summer. Since your bales are
already mouldy, there's no benefit from storing it under cover.

In terms of composting it, sort of defeats the purpose of what I got it

for
I think. I have enough good compost, this stuff is to heavy mulch the
gardens.

I've often used spoiled hay as mulch and never had any hayseed
germination problem, partly because the freerange hens (and wildbirds)
were constantly scratching in the mulch and and turning it over
throughout winter, looking for worms.

If the hay was made for stock feed it should have been cut green,
before the grass went to ripe seed. (As for making/selling hay
containing ragwort; no competent farmer/stock owner would do that).

thats what got me on the subject, the stuff I have read talks about
hay/pasture hay/spoilt feed hay rather than lucerne. Some people swear off
it due to the seeds whilst others who use it say they have never had a
problem. Pot luck maybe.

rob