Old 21-05-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lee and Kath

Default Betula Jacquemontii

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:46:37 +0000, dlrodgers wrote:

Janet Galpin Wrote:
The message
from dlrodgers
contains these
words:

I have planted a 3-4 year old tree and it isn't showing any signs yet
of
the magnificent white bark on the trunk. The tree is growing well and
is
about 10ft high, and the trunk is about an inch thick.

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it takes before the white
begins to take over from the wood colour?

I planted an ordinary silver birch and for 4 years thought that I'd been 'had' but once
the trunk reached 2 inches across, the bark started to peel.

What a relief - I hope you really enjoy your fantastic tree.

Kath