Old 16-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Derryl Killan

Default Garden Seeds!

Hi Buzzy - The plants that you collect seeds from are hybrids and they are
not viable seeds. F1 hybrids do not set viable seeds. Buy your seeds and
enjoy successful plantings.

Derryl

Hi All,
As a lurker, I'm entitled to ask one question once in a blue moon (I
hope!). Here's the question:

I have been growing my own bedding plants rather successfully for the past
two growing seasons but I have noticed something that irks me a bit. I

have
collected my own seed from my plants and have used it to start seedlings

for
the next year, but from a rather generous collection of marigold seeds, I
have had a total of three plants grow from two trays, with three seeds
planted in each cell and a total of 48 cells for each tray. So I go to the
Canadian Tire (exclusive for us Canucks ya know!) and pick up three paks

of
marigold seed and put two in each cell and almost all appear! Am I missing
something here when I collect the seeds? I have had this happen with

coleus
too but most of the others I gather such as snapdragon, are fine. I was
going to take a deep tray with some growing medium next year and 'carpet
bomb' the thing with seed and transplant what comes up!
Just wondering!

Buzzy

--
== Buzzy's Stall Wall ==