Old 21-05-2006, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Glyphosphate brand question.

wrote:

(snip very sensible post to which I agree entirely)

Broadleaf specific lawn weedkillers are much nastier than glyphosate
but are just about acceptable for spot weeding. I cringe everytime I
see that blasted animated frog/hedgehog/ladybird dance around on the
chemically greened lawn advert.

It is indeed the mix of chemicals that worries me. What **** me off is
that it is sold under bio degredable product as being the 'only'
component in the mix when it is in fact one of many other ingredients.
It is perhaps true in the long run that it will desapear in the soil
after 90 days, but the destruction of gardens habitat in the process is
not told to the amateur gardeners. The farmers know, but not the
amateur gardeners. This is why I feel a total ban on these products is
the solution.

We are getting almost as bad as the Merkins - a land where "TruGreen
ChemLawn" is a product franchise brandname and a *selling* point. I kid
you not.

LOL! Organic this and that sell - off course. But wouldn't you be more
happy to see your society getting rich doing the right thing than
getting rich destroying us all?

Don't buy these products. Full stop.

If you must use a chemical weedkiller then glyphosate is about as safe
as you can reasonbly get. All I would ask is that you buy generic and
not the Monsanto product.

That is something which needs to be told and loudly too. But how?

Almost everything else is more dangerous. Even grubbing the weeds out
manually by hand risks catching tetanus from the soil. And burning them
OrganicallyTM) will produce dangerous dioxins (shock! horror!). There
is no free lunch.

Yes absolutely (I got poisoned 2 weeks ago and was severely sick -
didn't wash my hands and ate lunch on my friends plot ... Stupid I
know). I'm interested in box schemes, local farmers markets etc. and
more and more organic wholesalers are opening selling local products at
affordable prices. I am interested in large scale organic farming and
hope that one day each cities will be fed from local farming industries
working organically which in turn will stop the large import
food/flowers industries from abroad.