Old 21-05-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Glyphosphate brand question.

Chris Bacon wrote:
Now you are being silly. Quote me, from the article, where it says "had
carelessly drenched ... with glyphosphate. You can't, so I expect I
won't hear anything more about it.

FOUND IT !!!

"If Argentina's soya revolution brought local economic benefits,
perhaps there would be less hostility. But the genius of Monsanto's
Roundup Ready soya is that it allows the crop to be farmed intensively
with minimal labour. Only one worker is needed for every 400 hectares
compared to more than 70 on a traditional citrus farm. By inserting a
special gene into the plant's DNA, Monsanto's scientists discovered
they could make it immune to a very powerful herbicide called
glyphosate. Farmers can then spray this over their crops once or twice
a year and everything but the soya is exterminated leaving the soya to
grow vigorously with highly profitable yields and little maintenance.
So more than 300,000 farmworkers have lost their jobs. Most head
towards the big cities like Buenos Aires or Salta to find work, but
with few skills they end up unemployed and homeless."

Full news below ...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodm...342291,00.html