Old 16-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

Default Sage

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:04:41 +0000, Lazarus Cooke wrote:

Does the cutting back=killing apply to Rosemary & thyme too?

The one plant that really gets subjected to this kind of "don't
cut back" propaganda is lavender. All the authorities say not to
cut lavender back into old wood. However, I've seen very old
lavender bushes hacked back ruthlessly to mere stubs in late
winter and come back very nicely. At the very least, this warning
is not always true.

But it *is* sometimes true - I have seen my neighbour put paid to his
entire lavender hedge like this!

(It regrew from seedlings within a couple of years)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/