Old 21-05-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Tomato Plants ?

Redman wrote:
Ok I was late in getting my new greenhouse up. I purchased 6 tomato plants
from B&Q that were a decent size and planted straight into the ground, no
growbags. Put plenty of organic compost and about 2Kgs of Rockdust through
the soil. Watered the plants well but now I've lost one of them, it just
seemed to wilt and looked like it had some sort of fungus growing on it but
as I'm a bit of a novice I couldn't be 100% sure. Anyway another 2 of them
look like they are wilting and the lower leaves are starting to go
yellow/ish and curl upwards. I've pulled a few of the worst leaves off. I've
made a garlic spray and used that to see if it makes a difference. Is this
unusual with young tomato plants or is there something wrong with them from
my description? Any help much appreciated.

It doesn't matter what rock dust you use apparently, but I'm not sure
why you've used it when you had a good organic compost to start with.
The rock dust mimicks the natural processes in the soil and the plants
extract the nutrients as it needs it. If it is fungus, take it out and
destroy. Watering often is the problem with tomatoes and perhaps the
humidity in your greenhouse. Have you checked this? It sounds like
you've got a problem if the whole plant wilts! The occasional yellow
leaf happens to me but not to the whole plant. I also never purchase
plants from B&Q ... but nails and paint and the occasional pot ;o)