Old 21-05-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gideon

Default Growing near black walnut

Jim,

A number of trees produce the poison "juglone." This includes
both the Black Walnut and the Butternut trees. Your neighbor
should be able to help you definitively identify his tree type.

Some cherry trees are particularly sensitive to juglone poisoning
and it is quite likely that your tree is in the very susceptible
or somewhat susceptible category.

The facts that you strongly suspect a nearby juglone producing
tree, that you have a cherry tree, and that your tree is well within
the danger zone for a mature Black Walnut/Butternut would lead
one to be extremely positive that you have identified the problem.

I'd suggest getting a positive ID on the offending tree, and verifying
that your tree is susceptible (Google, garden nursery expert, garden
center expert, local university staff, very reliable landscaper, smart
neighbor, etc.). If you become 100% positive that your tree is getting
poisoned, then attempt a transplant asap. You want your cherry
to be at least 50 feet from the Walnut/Butternut, and 75 feet or more
is much more prudent. Obviously, be very careful in the future
when you plant anything in that danger zone. Some fruit trees (apple,
sour cherry and pear in particular) and some vegetables (tomato in
particular) are very susceptible. As a general practice, I would advise
against putting any vegetable garden within the danger zone.

You may prefer to be pragmatic and just buy a replacement tree,
especially since small weeping cherry trees aren't particularly
expensive and there is a "cost" associated with your time and effort.
Personally though, I prefer the challenge of attempting to save a
living thing whenever reasonable.

Sorry about your bad luck.

Gideon

==================

jim wrote:

Hi,
There is a tree near my yard and I am not sure if its a black walnut or
a (butter?)nut.Now I know that certain plants will not grow under or
near a black walnut,is this also true for the (butter?)nut tree?The
reason I ask is because last May I planted a weeping cherry about 20-25
feet from this tree and all was going well until this year I noticed it
had buds but never blossomed.I dont know if it was zapped by frost or
not, but before I get another I was wondering if a weeping cherry is
one of the things that wont grow near these type of trees.Any info
would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,
Jim