Old 21-05-2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

Default IRIS problem

As soon as the last flower has closed, you can cut off the stalk, BUT do NOT
cut back the fans themselves, as they are FEEDING the rhizomes along with
the roots, and that is for next years flowers and increses.

Only in the dead of winter up here in the desert, when most of the fans are
frost bit, do I cut any of them back, but mostly I just wait and as it gets
near spring I just clean away the dead fans.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

"Dave_s" wrote in message
David E. Ross wrote:
Dave_s wrote:

I have about 14 IRIS in my full sun center garden in San Fernando Valley
near Los Angeles Calif. I divided and replanted these in November of
2005 and have been watering and feeding all winter. Only 4 plants
produced flowers.

When you plant them, the rhizome should be horizontal (which might mean
the fan of leaves is tilted). They should be planted very shallow; the
top of the rhizome might even be exposed.

To promote flowering, you should dig bone meal or superphosphate into the
planting hole. To prevent burning the already injured roots, you should
then add plain soil (no fertilizer) before setting the rhizomes in order
to keep the fertilizer from direct contact.

Be careful to avoid over feeding. Iris are not heavy feeders. Too much
nitrogen can cause the plant to rot.

I'm about 5-15 miles west of you, depending on where in the Valley you
are. My iris are blooming right now.

Many thanks to everyone who replied. The MANY comments and info were very
helpful!!

I live in Panorama City, zip 91402, next to Van Nuys in the San Fernando
Valley. We had a pretty cold winter. So I suspect some IRIS were planted
too deep and possibly overfed.

Ok, will not expect any more plants to bloom this spring.

When should I cut off the spikes with dead flowers or leaves those stems
intact?

What month of year is best to dig up those IRIS that might be planted a
little too deep? I shall feed less and add bonemeal when replanting and
will not cut back leaves to fan shape. Will never divide and replant all
14 at same time again.
Good info from all of you folks! Regards, Dave_s