Old 16-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Heather Humpleman

Default Onions

I grow tons of onions every year from set(Sept,Oct) and I notice around
Mar/April of
the following year onions always sending up flower. I can't bend the onion
easily
because it would break the stem so I just let it be. But I found out last
year that if I purchase
more onion sets and plant them right around April/May they will not send
flower up,
the bulb grow more in the summer and I leave them on the grown to be pulled
slowly
for eating. I'm guessing it has to do with the increasing of sun light from
short days to long
days but not sure why.
I don't have much luck with growing leek or onion from seeds. They are so
tiny
and take forever to mature. For leek if I forgot and leave them on the
ground for more
than a year then can be grown to supermarket size. Leeks somehow don't send
up
flower.I also grow tons of garlic from supermaket bulbs with no problem. I
usually
end up with too many, have to pull them off the grown to prepare for next
crop.
They don't send up scape or anything like that. I know growing these alliums
depends
on the area where where you live, I live in Northern California, zone 9.
Quyen

" wrote in message
Thanks, Ross.
I didn't pay attn. to the long day or short day labeling. I imagine the
nursery would carry the right type for my area. Maybe not.
Phx may be a short day area? Because the heat sets in so early? How long
do short day onions take?
They havent' been stressed, if anything they have been babied! I planted
them in very rich soil in a raised box in the fall.
Can I use the green leaves as onion chives or will I hurt the plants?
Roz
phx, az, usa