Old 15-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Bill and Nancy Weiler

Default Highly OT water question

Lee Brouillet wrote:

C'mon! No one has an answer?

Lee

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
OK, with all this talk about storing 3 days worth of food and water

against
possible trouble . . . food I have. BBQ grill and fuel, I have. Water
storage jugs, I have. HOWEVER, most of our emergency supply plans are for
hurricanes: you fill your jugs, "just in case", but once the storm passes,
you dump the water and store the empty jug until "next time". I'm not

being
Chicken Little here, and there's no panic. But in this case, if I fill

jugs,
how long will plain ol' tapwater be OK (covered and sealed)? I figured
there'd be SOMEone here who could answer my question G!

Lee

OK. I'll try. IF your water is good going into the container and IF
the container is clean and free of contamination (or relatively so)and
the container is kept sealed, then water stored in the container will
last (almost ?) indefinitely. It will undoubtedly get an off flavor due
to the container--particularly if it is plastic--and will taste "flat".
Now if any of the conditions are not met, then when you put the (bad)
water into the (bad) container, it will remain bad--but then you
wouldn't want to drink the water anyway. I have water stored in my
basement in glass containers which has been there for a couple of
years. I wouldn't hesitate to drink the water now. BTW, pure water is
a very poor environment for most bacterial pathogens (other than
spore-formers, which anthrax is). They tend to die rather quickly.
Can't say anything about the viruses or other pathogens.
--
Bill and Nancy Weiler
Tony, Wisconsin