Old 16-03-2003, 07:33 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Mystery Fish in Garden Pond

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
news
A small fish has mysteriously appeared in the garden pond. It is about one
inch
long, black and with a narrow golden band across its back Any ideas where

it came
from or what it is?
The pond was only created last year and stocked with half a dozen small

shubunkins
and goldfish - but these were only youngsters themselves (around two

inches long)
so I wouldn't expect them to breed.
Could it have been brought in on one of the aquatic plants last year?
Any ideas what sort of fish it is?

Ours bred the first year and weren't much bigger than yours. I think as soon
as they get their colour they're ready to breed. Could be goldfish. We had
whole shoals of them. They start off black and the colour spreads from a
small patch which was on the back of the neck IIRC.

Martin