Old 16-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Babberney

Default Throw out the mower ? ? ? ? ? ?

Subject: Throw out the mower ? ? ? ? ? ?
From: A /A
(Beecrofter)
Date: Sat, Mar 915, 27200302 4:53 PM
corner before you get it running again lest the original owners change their
mind.
____Reply Separator_____
Not where I live! In Shaler Township, it's illegal to scavenge refuse set out
for a pickup. There were several old guys who went around in pick-ups taking
aluminum lawn furniture (to sell/recycle) and powered lawn equipment to try to
repair. An ordinance was passed forbidding this practice. I'd sooner see a
lawnmower repaired and put back into service than go to a landfill. But in
fairness to the township, sometimes these scavengers would leave the rubbish
scattered about, and the refuse haulers wouldn't pick it up.

Similar problem with cities that have recycling pickup. Scavengers
pick out the AL cans, which actually have enough value to help support
the program, and leave behind almost-worthless paper and glass for the
city to deal with. I'd guess it's illegal most places, if poorly
enforced.

Obgardening: a lot of what goes in the bins could be reused instead of
recycled, like plastic/metal containers to start seeds or newspaper as
mulch.
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html