Old 16-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Romayne Naylor

Default Need advice on lettuce selection...

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:40:51 -0500, ABC wrote:

We are planning on planting vegetables again this summer now that our dogs
are older and will leave the plot alone. We live in the Niagara, Canada
area - very hot and humid summers (it's a fruit belt region) and very cold
winters.

I am looking for advice on growing different greens - specifically for
salads, like the Spring Mix they sell at the grocery stores. I am only
familiar with the usual run of the mill greens like iceberg, romaine, etc.,
but would love some ideas as to what would make a great "salad greens"
garden.

Thanks very much,
Rachel.

Read the "ingredients " panel on your favorite commercial salad mix.
Most list the types of greens included in the mix. Then you can plant
those plus any others that stike your fancy. I find that if I plant
early, then follow with successive plantings, I can generally get
through most of the summer with fresh, baby greens in my zone 5
garden. After a brief break in the hottest days of summer, when pretty
much everything bolts, I start again and continue until it's just too
cold. When that is varies year to year. Sometimes I can get to
Thanskgiving. Last year we didn't make it past Halloween.

Romayne