Old 21-05-2006, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David D Stretch

Default Dragon Fruit - Pitaya - Hylocereus

My 9 year old son, who is Chinese and up to 3 months ago had lived all
his life in Hunan Province, China, is missing being able to buy and eat
Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) in the UK, though I understand they can sometimes
be seen in shops. We looked up information about them on the Internet,
and discovered that we have a chance of buying some seeds within the
UK, which he wants to do in order to try to grow them.

I've warned him it might be difficult, because of the size to which
they eventually grow, and also because we will have to grow them
completely indoors. He is fairly determined to give it a go, and I'm
interested anyway, and so we'll try to do this. Has anyone reading my
message ever tried to grow these plants at all? If so, what kinds of
success have you had, and what hints might you have that would help us?
Many thanks.

For those of you who are not sure what plant I am referring to, here
are some websites that give some limited information about them.

http://tinyurl.com/qzum6

http://tinyurl.com/pqd5y

http://tinyurl.com/muzq6

--
David D Stretch: Stoke-on-Trent, UK.
Delete DELETE in the above email addresses to email me