Old 21-05-2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Growing near black walnut

On 21 May 2006 06:28:58 -0700, "jim" wrote:

Hi,
There is a tree near my yard and I am not sure if its a black walnut or
a (butter?)nut.Now I know that certain plants will not grow under or
near a black walnut,is this also true for the (butter?)nut tree?The
reason I ask is because last May I planted a weeping cherry about 20-25
feet from this tree and all was going well until this year I noticed it
had buds but never blossomed.I dont know if it was zapped by frost or
not, but before I get another I was wondering if a weeping cherry is
one of the things that wont grow near these type of trees.Any info
would be helpful.
Thanks in advance,

JIM

My parents had 4 tall black walnut trees in their backyard and grew a
variety of flowers, tomato plants, green beans, and onions. The
walnuts make a mess every year, and stain everything it touches. I've
heard similar claims about sunflower seed hulls.