Old 22-05-2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
axemanchris

Default A good easy to control climbing plant?

"stratford1" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks. I have an idea which may or may not work and need some of you
more experienced gardeners to let me know. Thanks in advance for your
help! Our chimney is on the front of our house and we're wanting to put
in a trellis and some sort of climbing plant to dress it up a bit. The
problem is, we have existing boxwood shrubs in front of the chimney
which we dont want to remove. My question is...is there a climber which
would be good to plant there behind the existing shrub which would (1)
do ok without direct sunlight on it's lower area (near the ground) and
(2) climb upwards to fill out the trellis but not start spreading into
the shrub or cover the ground beneath the shrub? Any ideas you have
would be great! (Note: we're in zone 6.)

Sounds like the perfect spot for a clematis!

Jacqui