Old 22-05-2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mindful

Default Iris not thriving

"Jeff" wrote in message
ps.com...
A friend gave a bunch of irises to us after they failed to thrive at
her house; she planted them in a shady part of her lawn.

We transplanted the irises to our garden in a sunny location. It has
been three years and we have seen only one iris bloom; the bloom was
yellow. No blooms this year. I wonder what I'm doing wrong and whether
I should just get rid of them.

Thank you,

Jeff

They like bone meal and potash and very little nitrogen. I sprinkle blood
meal lightly over a new iris bed and dig it in with the bone meal and wood
ash from the woodstove. They also do better with little organic matter in
the soil. The more sun the better and drainage must be excellent. Don't
bury the tuber. The back should be exposed to the air.