Old 22-05-2006, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default coffee compost

I have been reconstructing my compost heap this last 6 off weeks using a lot
of free waste coffee grounds. I get about 60 litres of it free a week and
throw it on the pile along with kitchen scraps, 3 odd dumps of lawn
clippings, leaves, paper and the odd pruning. The pile is reasonably
sizeable, roughly 3 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot and I have turned it about 3
times. I am amazed by the heat produced by it. Up to now I have continuously
added to the compost and seen it heat up in layers and then cool down. This
heap isn't as big yet as others however it has a large heat core. If I poke
a finger length in to the pile the heat is too high to go any further. I can
only put this change down to the intensive use of coffee grounds.

rob