Old 22-05-2006, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

Default coffee compost

"George.com" wrote in message

I have been reconstructing my compost heap this last 6 off weeks using a
lot
of free waste coffee grounds. I get about 60 litres of it free a week and
throw it on the pile along with kitchen scraps, 3 odd dumps of lawn
clippings, leaves, paper and the odd pruning.

snip
Hi George
My gut feeling is that 60 litres/per week is too high a concentration, for a
compost heap of that size. Filter (paper) coffee in particular, retains a
lot of the caffeins and oils.
Last friday, I ordered an Oz coffee knock box for my coffee machine and the
blurb states that a leaflett is included, giving composting suggestions. If
they give a clue as to ratios, I'll add to this thread.
You could experiment, using old seeds and a tray of compost soil mix? You
could also mulch some 100% compost around the base of some garden weeds?

Bertie