Old 22-05-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's eating my sprouts?

Cat(h) wrote:
I planted brussels sprout seedlings acquired from the local garden
centre about 3 weeks ago. They are taking well to the garden, and I
have sprinkled the immediate surroundings with environmentally friendly
anti slug pellets. However, the leaves of two of the seedlings have
been nibbled to the central rib - yet I cannot see any likely guilty
party - caterpillar or other.
What could be eating my sprouts, and what can I do to stop it?

Birds like Brassicas apparently but I have not grown any in ages so
cannot comment specifically. I have been watching starlings grab
handfuls of foliage from me herb garden and fly off with them (nesting
material??; lumps of sage and oregano!!). Pigeons are supposed to eat
cabbage leaves.

With all the recent rain, our garden is awash with slugs and snails.
The rain washed away the alu sulphate granules and stops it working.
Nightly visits with torch is all I can do now. I grab them and fling
them to the jungle side of the garden; handfuls at a time it seems.
Could still be a rogue slug; or sluggish rogue (ho ho ho).

TIA

Cat(h)