Old 22-05-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Runner beans

MikeCT wrote:
Hi,

It's still raining where I live and my garden is completely saturated. I
haven't even put in my runner bean poles or sown any beans and I'm getting
worried. Is it too late now, perhaps I should grow water melons instead?

You could try starting them off in the greenhouse? I have heavy clay
soil and have learnt through experience that it's better not to attempt
to sow *anything* direct into the ground. I've just planted out the
runner beans that I sowed a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't have
thought it would be too late to sow them; they'll surely catch up
quickly enough.

Rhiannon