Old 22-05-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default What's eating my sprouts?

Robert wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: wrote:
: Cat(h) wrote:
: I planted brussels sprout seedlings acquired from the local garden
: centre about 3 weeks ago. They are taking well to the garden, and I
: have sprinkled the immediate surroundings with environmentally
friendly
: anti slug pellets. However, the leaves of two of the seedlings have
: been nibbled to the central rib - yet I cannot see any likely guilty
: party - caterpillar or other.
: What could be eating my sprouts, and what can I do to stop it?
:
: They're only small seedlings, wouldn't a pigeon or a picking starling
: simply pluck them out of the ground rather than neatly eat the leaves
: to the ribs ?

Starlings won't touch them but pigeons will scoff the lot if you turn your
back and the clever little things will nearly always leave the growing tip

Well, my back is mostly always turned, seen as I can only give some of
my week ends to gardening... There are lots of pigeons in my area, and
at least one couple of ring-necked doves nesting in the trees above the
garden.
What can I do to discourage them?

Cat(h)
www.rraa.moonfruit.com