Old 22-05-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default First Plants

StuckInTheMud writes

Right Im an absolute beginner.

The fence at the bottom of my garden needs cheering up a little. It is
exposed to the sun most of the day and I want to put two or three
hanging baskets as well as some potted climbers along it. I think this
will do the job!

I was thinking honey suckle for the climber. will this fare well in the
exposure to sunlight? and what sort of compost should i use for potting
it?

As for the hanging baskets i realy have no idea! I want plants that
will trail down the side of the baskets. Can anyone suggest any that
will also like a lot of sunlight?

The first thing to think of is that all the pots and baskets will need
watering every single day of sunshine - including when you're on
holiday. So bear this in mind when planning what to use.

Being lazy, I'd seriously start considering succulents for this
situation, but you'd be looking at leaf pattern and shape for the main
impact rather than a continuous succession of flowers.

Alternatively, rig up an automatic watering system, and use
water-holding gel in with the compost.

Is there any possibility you could root the climbers into the soil so
they can find their own water?

--
Kay