Old 22-05-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

Default Clay soil (Was Runner beans)

Andy wrote:
I even
grow carrots in the greenhouse now, just to start them off, even though
you're not supposed to transplant them. Last year I lost two complete
sowings of carrots, though that might not have been helped by sowing them
early in poor weather.

I'm trying the same this year, growing them in toilet roll tubes in the
greenhouse. They're still very tiny (seed leaves and the beginnings of
the first true leaf) but the root has appeared out the bottom so I'm
guessing they're about ready to plant out. I hope to at least get
carrots the length of the toilet roll tube.

I saw some narrow bucket-like things for sale in Morrison's the other
day (a bit like the ones you sometimes see cut flowers being sold out
of), and was wondering if I could try growing carrots and parsnips in
those. Anyone have any experience of that?

I'm working on improving the soil but it takes huge amounts of organic
matter. Perhaps I should just stick with thigs that like heavy clay?

Brassicae. They love it.

Rhiannon