Old 22-05-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default What, exactly, is the truth about the SE hosepipe ban?

As a customer of Three Valleys Water (geographical monopoly suppliers
like the rest of them in the UK), I have suffered their regular above
inflation price increases for a goodly number of years. Along with 5
other 'London Area' suppliers they imposed a 'hosepipe ban' in April.
Since then, it has hardly stopped raining.
I do not believe claims that rainfall other than in winter does not
raise the water table. The ground around here is becoming saturated
and seasonal springs and streams are flowing well. That's only half
the story anyway, which is never indicated by the propagandists.
Simply, if it rains outside winter, there is not the demand for water
by gardeners and so on, because you don't need to use a hose or
sprinkler when it's p***ing down!
Today I spent considerable time investigating the company's website.
It seems that they have no supply problems whatsoever, but along with
other 'London area' suppliers were approached by the Labour
Government's Environment Agency and invited to impose a hosepipe ban
to 'raise awareness'.
Now it seems that Thames Water may indeed have a problem, not least
caused by losing about a quarter of their entire supply through leaks.
So, it seems like coillective punishment for South East England.
More sinister, however, are the imposed plans for the building of
thousands of new houses to accommodate 'asylum seekers' , immigrants
and suchlike.
If we do not have enough water to supply existing residents, how the
hell can we cope with the demand from thousands more houses?
--- or are we being 'softened up', i.e.by 'raising awareness' to
anticipate real problems when the plans allegedly generated by the
laughable Neanderthal ignorant fornicating thug Prescott come to
fruition?