Old 22-05-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default What's eating my sprouts?

The message
from "david taylor" contains these words:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Well, my back is mostly always turned, seen as I can only give some of
my week ends to gardening... There are lots of pigeons in my area, and
at least one couple of ring-necked doves nesting in the trees above the
garden.
What can I do to discourage them?

I have had a lot of trouble with woodpigeons over the years. They tend to
devour and strip brassicas rather than just nibble, and I used to net
brassica plants to protect them.
Last year I witnessed a collared dove attacking some brocco;i plants
which
were in a pot. It had a more delicate nibbling style than the wood pigeons
and is a possible culprit.
This year has been very cold and it could be that some birds are becoming
desparate in their eating habits.

An interesting thought. I have never had trouble with pigeons eating
brassicas until for the first time this year. I hadn't thought to blame
the weather.

Janet G