Old 23-05-2006, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Default Any ideas on how to age a Yew tree?

"Nick" wrote in message
Just out of interest I would like to put an approximate date to a Yew
tree.
I know it is technically a soft wood and V slow growing.
Height is 'very' approximately 45ft, 13.5m.
Circumference at eye level is 11ft 6ins, 3.5m.
Max. branch spread is about 30ft, 9m.

The tree is less than 6ft from a 16C farmhouse. There does not
touch wood appear to be any major problem with damage
caused by roots.

The branches overhang the roof and cause dreadful
problems with the guttering. These need to be cleared on an almost
daily basis at this time of year but I'm not thinking of
trimming/lopping or felling.

I will be posting a message about a wood shredder shortly
but this is entirely unrelated.

Thanks

Nick.

From my own observations of Yew vertical growth rate, your tree is at least
100 years old, but may well be a lot older. I have a feeling the girth of
the tree will tell you a lot more about its age than the height.

Andy