Old 23-05-2006, 04:02 AM
bushman bushman is offline
Registered User

Location: Northland New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambsgirl
hi, hope someone can help

we have a NZ Flax the size of Birmingham in our garden, and we would like to move it to a better location as it is really in the way. We really like the plant, and dont want to lose it when we move it. What would be the best way to do it? Also the flower stalk must be 10ft tall, we know it flowers in summer, but should we cut it down after it has flowered or should it die down naturally? We have been in this house since September and it hasnt died down yet.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Hi
Flax (Phormium tenax) is particularly hardy, which makes for ease of propogation and should not be difficult to move. If you desire to move it maybe its best to think about dividing it up. Cut back hard the older foliage, trying to leave the newer, softer growing leaves in the centre of each 'Fan' of lleaves., then with spades and forks and much muscle, separate out the 'Fans" or offshoots at the base, keeping a bit of the fibrous roots attached to the offshoots. If you seperate out the offshoots you could have many plants, to give to your friends or to plant in other parts of your property.
Just dig a hole for planting large enough for the offshoots and its roots. You can put more than one offshoot in per hole.
The plant you describe is what they look like growing here in the North of New Zealand. There should be smaller versions available. Phormium cookianum or mountain flax is smaller. We sometimes cut the spent seed heads off at the base and bring it inside the house as a dried arrangement, with other flowers etc...
a few links and photos from here
www.bushmansfriend.co.nz
Tony Foster