Old 23-05-2006, 06:21 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default light lamp to overcome dormancy and aid in cuttings ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

Kye wrote:
Mostly, woody materials used for vegetative propagation are left with
minimal vegetation so as to minimise the loss of water through
transpiration.

A.P. replies:
Sounds like a good enough of a reason for me to cut and remove all the
leaves tonight.
If the one with no leaves has signs of a new bud, then leaves are of no
help in forming
new roots.

So I am guessing that it is in the cambium layer where success of new
roots occurs.
And if that is true, is the cambium layer more abundant in thicker
cuttings than in small diameter.

Also, tonight I have 2 sprouts of Siberian elm along with the 4
American elm. But no Rock elm as yet. Some of the sprouts are coming up
deformed, by that I mean that they are not green leaves but that the
head still has the seed casing attached. Whether these seedlings will
die is yet to be found out.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium