Old 23-05-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What, exactly, is the truth about the SE hosepipe ban?

Jupiter wrote:
Today I spent considerable time investigating the company's website.
It seems that they have no supply problems whatsoever, but along with
other 'London area' suppliers were approached by the Labour
Government's Environment Agency and invited to impose a hosepipe ban
to 'raise awareness'.

It does seem a very good way of getting people to rush out and buy
water butts and get people used to conserving water. ..but at the
moment I can't imagine a lot of people are worrying about a drought!

When water meters were starting to be installed it was said that for
most houses the water bill would be reduced. As more and more meters
get fitted the overall income to the water companies can't go down so
they'll have to raise prices.