Old 23-05-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default coffee compost

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

I have been reconstructing my compost heap this last 6 off weeks using a

lot
of free waste coffee grounds. I get about 60 litres of it free a week

and
throw it on the pile along with kitchen scraps, 3 odd dumps of lawn
clippings, leaves, paper and the odd pruning. The pile is reasonably
sizeable, roughly 3 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot and I have turned it about

3
times. I am amazed by the heat produced by it. Up to now I have

continuously
added to the compost and seen it heat up in layers and then cool down.

This
heap isn't as big yet as others however it has a large heat core. If I

poke
a finger length in to the pile the heat is too high to go any further. I

can
only put this change down to the intensive use of coffee grounds.

No, any frequent large damp additions will have the same effect. Some
of the old gardens used the rising heat from fresh manure, to create
hotbeds for exotic crops.

could be so, just the hotest I have seen my compost bake, using coffee. The
grounds are very fine which may enlargen the surface area and allow the
microbes to go to work on it quicker maybe. It just seems that way though
appearances can be deceptive eh. Anyhow, I will continue to monitor it and
see how it performs.

rob