Old 23-05-2006, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default coffee compost

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

I have been reconstructing my compost heap this last 6 off weeks using a
lot
of free waste coffee grounds. I get about 60 litres of it free a week

and
throw it on the pile along with kitchen scraps, 3 odd dumps of lawn
clippings, leaves, paper and the odd pruning.

snip
Hi George
My gut feeling is that 60 litres/per week is too high a concentration, for

compost heap of that size. Filter (paper) coffee in particular, retains a
lot of the caffeins and oils.
Last friday, I ordered an Oz coffee knock box for my coffee machine and

the
blurb states that a leaflett is included, giving composting suggestions.

If
they give a clue as to ratios, I'll add to this thread.
You could experiment, using old seeds and a tray of compost soil mix? You
could also mulch some 100% compost around the base of some garden weeds?

thanks for the concern Bertie. The stuff is espresso coffee grounds from
which most of the caffine has been extracted. A little different to the
coffee filter machines. I take on board your comment about amounts of
coffee, I am adding other material as well so it will not all be coffee. The
pile is actually growing quite quickly. The compost may turn out to be
rubbish but the final results will tell me that. Using a good dump of coffee
seems like a good possible addition to something I want to bake quickly -
weed seed perhaps. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens.

rob