Old 23-05-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default feeding potatoes

Tim C. wrote:
Following up to "La Puce" :

Grass cuttings, straw, hay and even newspapers will do!

Can I pile up grass-cuttings, etc. around normally planted spuds in the
ground?

Sure you can. It keeps moisture in, reduce weeds growing etc. The
no-dig system actually just place the spud on the ground on a bed of
manure and cover them with grass cuttings and straw. My friend does
this every year. When I first met her I thought she was mad ... but you
should see the amount of spud she gets and doesn't get a bad back )