Old 23-05-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default coffee compost

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message
"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
thanks for the concern Bertie. The stuff is espresso coffee grounds from
which most of the caffine has been extracted. A little different to the
coffee filter machines. I take on board your comment about amounts of
coffee, I am adding other material as well so it will not all be coffee.
The
pile is actually growing quite quickly. The compost may turn out to be
rubbish but the final results will tell me that. Using a good dump of
coffee
seems like a good possible addition to something I want to bake

quickly -
weed seed perhaps. I'll keep playing with it and see what happens.

Rob, all you wanted to know about Star$$ and slugs, but were afraid to ask
:-
http://tinyurl.com/eqhm7
http://www.paghat.com/coffeeslugs.html

Bertie

thanks dude. I am not that worried about slugs, slug hunting with a bag of
salt is a recreation of mine. The amount of caffine in spent grounds was
interesting though. Nothing I have yet read says that the residual caffine
in the grounds is overly toxic. It seems annecdotally that worms love it.
The acidity of the grounds is something of note. I think I may be testing
the ph on the finished compost to see how it comes out. I have also spread
some grounds across a patch of earth with little worm activity to see how
what effect it has. The grounds are free so not costing me anything (except
time) to have a play around.

rob