Old 23-05-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

Default coffee compost

"George.com" wrote in message

thanks dude. I am not that worried about slugs, slug hunting with a bag of
salt is a recreation of mine. The amount of caffine in spent grounds was
interesting though. Nothing I have yet read says that the residual caffine
in the grounds is overly toxic. It seems annecdotally that worms love it.
The acidity of the grounds is something of note. I think I may be testing
the ph on the finished compost to see how it comes out. I have also spread
some grounds across a patch of earth with little worm activity to see how
what effect it has. The grounds are free so not costing me anything
(except
time) to have a play around.

Agreed, caffein content much lower than I thought. Also most cafes use the
higher quality (lower caffein) arabica and the small % of robusta used in
blends, can be discounted.
When my 'knock box' arrives, I too will be joining the compost/coffee
brigade, although my weekly consumption is only 500g per week.

Bertie