Old 23-05-2006, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Plant ID update! Ceanothus?

"louisxiv" wrote in message

Worth banging on the door and asking about it. Have they pruned and
trained
it to make this tree shape?
I guess it might be Ceanothus Edinburgh which supposedly forms a more
upright specimen. I do not really understand the big leaf/little leaf
thing.

One of the few things that are upright on Leith Walk then, at least on a
weekend night. ;-)

I thought you were kidding until I looked it up. Now i'll have to get one
and support my local shrub!

It certainly is a magnificent example.
I had a Ceanothus at my previous house and I never really liked it. It had a
very pale washed out insipid blue colour and formed a very scruffy shrub.
It finally died:-)
I have read that they do need a sheltered spot and prefer it on the dry
side.
Having seen the picture I think I might get one too.