Old 24-05-2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default miltonia and dracula cordobae

On 23 May 2006 19:02:22 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I have had a miltonia for a while now, and I have recently been having
problems with it now. The leaf tips are turning brown (in two different
ways, pls see pictures) and odd horizontal tears are appearing in the
leaves, sometimes breaking pieces of the leaf completely off. There are
also some deformed leaves and some droopy, limp leaves.

The dracula cordobae seems to be having some problems as well (this is
a very new plant). I have posted pictures.

The 1st 6 are miltonia, the 2nd 8 are the dracula.

Any thoughts??

http://homepage.mac.com/sarahsbs/PhotoAlbum1.html

'
The bends in the leaves suggest it is not getting enough water into
the leaves to fully unfurl them. Have you checked the roots? Has it
been repotted lately?
Some of the breaks such as down the mid rib of the leaf also suggest a
shortage of usable water. It takes considerable hydrostatic pressure
to push that leaf up just as it takes pressure to open a flower fully.
If you have bad mix or old mix or bad roots the water you are giving
the plant is not making it to the leaves.

If you have over watered in the past you may have rotten roots.
Start your detecting at the root level.

Good luck.
SuE