Old 24-05-2006, 04:07 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
a_plutonium

Default germination of Rock Elm ulmus racemosa; seed and cuttings

The good news tonight is that I have 3 Rock Elm seedlings germinated out
of a starting total of 150 on 13May and I have 2 cuttings with green
buds out of a total of 24 on 13May. The bad news is that I lost 28
seedlings as their seed casing turned out to be empty of its "nuclear
seed mass" (I am sure botanists have a special name for this seed mass
inside the casing. Whether there was no seed mass to start with or
whether bacteria and fungus ate it. Perhaps this is another reason to
let the seed dry before attempting to plant.

So I started with 150 seed and 24 cuttings and success with 5
individuals so far. I will be happy if I end up with 20 Rock Elm plants.

The reference samples I have 7 American elm seedlings and 3 Siberian elm
germinated. Now I will be trying to distinguish between Rock elm,
American elm and Siberian elm seedlings. I suspect this is a tough
assignment and that the seeds themselves are the best distinguishers.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium