Old 24-05-2006, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default Fertilizing a lawn

On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:42:23 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
roups.com...
Fertilizing is seasonal and regional. Scotts (which I think is
excessive) has a 4 cycle schedule which includes premerg fertilizer for
crabgrass control, fertilizer with grub control, weed and feed and
winterization. Best advice for your area would probably come from a
local garden shop.
Frank

US grass growers seem to be obsessed with crabgrass. Just about every post
on fertiliser mentions a pre-emergent for crabgrass. Is it really a big
problem in the US? Are fertiliser companies selling you something you do not
need?

Crabgrass can be a problem but there are ways to control it. It can
be tough to get rid of crabgrass if you let it go, but a thick healthy
lawn has very few weeds nor crabgrass. Probably the worse product
people buy in the US is weed and feed.

I have some grabgrass in my lawn but it is not rampant by any means. More of
a problem is couch and other creeping grasses and paspalum.

Overseed your lawn and you will croud out the unwanted grasses.

rob