Old 24-05-2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Paul

Default Please help! ...trying to revive an abandoned bonsai

I need some help on how to revive a dying bonsai. It is a ficus
macrophylla about 40 cm tall. It doesn't look good. It has no leaves but
the scratch test reveals that the trunk and most major branches are
still green.

A friend of mine left it in a garage where it got only a little light
and almost no water for over a month. This is when all the leaves went
brown but stayed attached. The last 3 weeks I have been watering it
correctly (watering till the water soaks and runs through only when the
soil is dry) and have moved it outside to a sunny position (seeing as I
read OUTSIDE is best and it likes the sun).

I read that this variety doesn't like temperatures below 15C, and am
worried because winter is starting here in Sydney and the temperature at
night is 13C and only gonna get colder.

I have been searching forums on the net for over a week now and haven't
really found definite answers to the following questions...

They a

Should I leave it outside or inside near a window?

Should I trim off the dead branches now or wait? (and if I wait then
wait for... new growth? spring?)

Should I remove the wiring on the branches?

Or should I just take it to a professional seeing as it used to be a
very nice looking plant!?

Any help from someone more experienced than myself would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee and Paul