Old 24-05-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Mealworms

On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:12:54 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

doobydoobydo writes
Hi Sacha

I know you don't want to hear it, but yes it brings in the blackbirds and
robins. The blackbirds take beakfuls of them at once, I counted twenty one
time. The robins take them as well. But best of all at this time of the
year the male robin feeds the female, and the blackbirds feed their
fledgings. A robin actually took one from my hand. Can you really justify
your daughter of such a sight ; ).

The pet shop I bought mine at puts them in empty flora marg tubs, which I
keep in the fridge. When my daughter visits, I ask her to get the marg out
of the fridge for her sandwich and watch her scream, gets her every time.
Hehehehe

PS Sunflower hearts (hearts especially rather than whole ones) will attract
the blue tits, great tits, and green finches............maybe an
alternative.

Blackbirds seem to be very enthusiastic about sultanas and raisins.
Robins like to feed from the ground - grated cheese might tempt them.

snip
I'll try those, thanks. No danger to chicks from sultanas etc. being shoved
down their throats?! At this rate of gourmet feeding, our birds won't be
able to get off the ground.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk