Old 24-05-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Mealworms

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
Interesting you say that. I have a seed feeder hanging from my study window,
which is upstairs and today, I watched a coal tit worrying away at it and
apparently hurling unwanted seed to the ground. He finally found a sunflower
seed and flew away with it triumphantly. The feeder full of niger seed
appears to attract everything but not, yet, the green finches we were assured
would go mad for it.

I can confirm that they do - they form the majority of visiting birds
in my garden, and that's what I feed them - when I feed them...
Which brings me to a maybe slightly off topic question: should one
still feed birds this time of year? I haven't refilled the feeders in
over a month, on the basis that grubs and caterpillars are now supposed
to be reasonably plentiful?

Cat(h)