Old 24-05-2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default Fertilizing a lawn

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 May 2006 23:33:10 -0700, tenplay wrote:

I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I
reseeded a 10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look
pretty
good. I might even mow the area for the first time next
week.
I've been reading that one has to fertilize the lawn
regularly to
nourish the lawn and discourage weeds. Someone suggested that
the
best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16 mix with lime. Is that
right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly reseeded area
too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain
than
most. In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any
advice.

Good day tenplay. No, 16-16-16 is not correct. Your looking for
21-7-14 fertilizer. Depending on where your located, go to the
local farmer's co-op (cenex store) and get your fertilizer
there.
Way cheaper that the big box stores and they will have what you
really need.

I have a page on fertilizing lawns for Washington. It can be
found
he

http://resources.ywgc.com/info/lawnfert.shtml

To be honest, you really running out of time for fertilizing
around
here. Be sure not to over apply the fertilizer as it can burn
if
your not the type to do summer waterings. We are about done for
the
rain now and after this week it may not rain again untill fall.
Un-likely but could happen. Good luck.

It doesn't have to be 21-7-14. It can be any number. It should
just be a 3-1-2 ratio.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5