Old 24-05-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default horse tail

"grimmjimm" wrote
My soil has a high clay content, The problem i have is Horsetail this
grows everywhere i have tried digging it up but it always seems to
come back. Does anybody know of a suitable weed killer that really
does work on this plant.
I has started to take my garden over. Any help would be appleciated.

Lots of previous threads on this subject (check out via Google archive),
but this stuff is, as you've found out, next to impossible to simply dig
up. It spreads far and wide a) by underground rhizomes with roots that
can go down several feet and will regrow from any little bit you break
off, and b) by shedding spores from dingy brown fruiting shoots that go
unnoticed in early spring.

IME Glyphosate works in the end if you repeat treat, and then improve
the soil and keep the area cultivated. I got rid of horsetail in one of
my borders this way.

Try bruising the weed first by crushing and whacking, and then apply the
glyphosate and leave to be drawn into the plants. You might have to do
this several times but the good news is if you persist you'll eventually
kill it. The bad news is that because of the spores, if there's any of
the stuff growing nearby on someone else's land, it's likely to be a
reoccurring battle.

--
Sue