Old 25-05-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Newsreader

Default Fertilizing a lawn

"George.com" wrote in message
US grass growers seem to be obsessed with crabgrass. Just about every post
on fertiliser mentions a pre-emergent for crabgrass. Is it really a big
problem in the US? Are fertiliser companies selling you something you do
not
need?

I have some grabgrass in my lawn but it is not rampant by any means. More
of
a problem is couch and other creeping grasses and paspalum.

rob

I think it would be nice to have a lawn of all fine bladed fescue &
bluegrass.

Unfortunately I don't believe that will ever happen on my little homestead.
If I were to kill off all the crabgrass, clover, dandylions, and buttercups
that grow on my roughly 2 acres of mowed areas, I think all I would be left
with was barren clay with a little green here & there.

"McMansions" with pristine expanses of perfect lawn are pretty much the norm
where I live, ( Northwest MD suburbs of Washington DC), and a whole thriving
community of lawn care service companies make major bucks keeping those
McMansion's lawns weed free.

As it is, I have a lot of green surface. Too much time involved in perfect
grass. I'd rather spend my allotted gardening hours on the flower & shrub
beds, and just mow those mixed green "lawn" areas. And, spend my hard earned
income on something that gives me more pleasure than a weed-free golf coarse
type lawn.

David

PS. I fertilize it with relatively cheap "Lesco" fertilizer in spring &
fall.