Old 25-05-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
vincent p. norris

Default Fertilizing a lawn

On Mon, 22 May 2006 23:33:10 -0700, tenplay wrote:
I've been reading that one has to fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish
the lawn and discourage weeds.

I fertilized my lawn for several years after I planted it, back in
1961, but I haven't fertilized my lawn, or watered it, in 20 or 30
years, but I still have to mow the damn thing every week! I live in
central PA, about 40 inches of precip per year.

My lawn doesn't look like a putting green, but I have no crabgrass and
very few dandelions. It's not very different from my neighbor's lawn,
though he has Chemlawn treat it.

I mow it high, three inches, with a mulching mower.

By not watering, I've encouraged the roots to go DOWN for water,
rather than stay near the surface. My grass stays green through the
periodic droughts we get here.

vince norris