Old 25-05-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lyndon

Default chickweed in new lawn

"K" wrote in message
Phil L writes
Rob Barrett wrote:
Lyndon wrote:
"Rob Barrett" wrote in message
I planted a new lawn last fall which has come in nicely.
Unfortunately,
one patch of maybe 15 sq meters is pretty infested
with what my wife has identified through some googling as
chickweed. Will regular mowing take care of this over time or
should I consider something more drastic?

Regular mowing should take care of common chickweed, but if you have
common mouse-ear chickweed mowing will not help. In this case you
will need to apply a lawn weedkiller to get the little beastie under
control. The leaf is very different on the two. Mouse-ear chickweed has
hairy leaf.
Thanks for the help. Could you take a look at this picture and help
me with a positive ID?
http://coffeewithbarretts.com/blog/uploads/weed1.jpg

I'm afraid it has hairy stems and leaves....

If I have to use a selective weedkiller, any advice on the tradeoff
between abusing a new-ish lawn (from seed 8 months ago) and letting
the infestation continue until it is the recommended 12 months old?

I'm no expert, but that ain't any kind of chickweed I've ever seen, mouse
eared or regular.

It looked pretty chickweedy to me.

--
Kay

.... and to me. But definitely not common chickweed..

Not sure how I'd handle it in such a new lawn. Perhaps someone else can
help? As you've probably discovered it can spread rather quickly. It *is*
fairly easy to control once you can get the weed-killer on it. In the
meantime I really don't know if you would be able to limit the spread with a
bit of hand weeding?

--
Lyndon