Old 25-05-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
newsreader

Default Maple tree seed pods

wrote:
I am new to this group but I think this is the proper forum to ask this
question. I live in northern RI and have a large Swamp Maple growing
in my front yard. I have been in the house only two springs, and each
spring my neighbor complains extensively about the "helicopters" that
fall on both our yards. While they don't bother me a whole lot, they
really aggravate him. I doubt it, but is there anything that can be
done to minimize the amount of seed pods a maple produces?

Certain varieties of maples have minimal production of helicopters. I
recently planted 3 Autumn Blaze on my property. I chose this variety for
fast growth, fall color,& and minimal if any seed pods. More about them
he

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergarde...le/abmaple.htm

Short of cutting your tree down & replacing it, there is not anything
you can do about the seed pods. Pray for winds from a favorable
direction to blow them to the least noticeable area.