Old 25-05-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jan Flora

Default pollinate tomatoes in greenhouse?

In article . com,
"Green Giant" wrote:

Does anyone know about which plants need artificial pollination in a
greenhouse?
I have tomatoes, bell peppers, trying a cucumber vine, etc, I have a
8x10 inch vent in the wall, bees could find it possibly, there is also
access all the way around the bottom of the greenhouse (4" gap"). I had
a spray a few years ago for tomatoes for indoor growing. Can I
pollinate tomatoes with a Q-tip? How is this done (using other plants)?
can I tell the difference between a male and female plant? There must
be a lesson in "the birds and the bees" concerning gardening, takes me
back to middle school ;o)
Thanks for any help,
Mr. Planter

I just tap on the main stem or gently shake the plant once or
twice a day, for tomatoes. Same with bell peppers and cukes.

With a vent in the wall, the bees will probably find your plants.

For hand pollination, a little artist's paintbrush works well.

You must be up north, if you have to grow all of the warm
weather crops in a greenhouse...

Jan, in Alaska

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.